What are the authorities doing?
The Belgian (and international) authorities act at various levels to reduce nuclear risks: identification and analysis of the risk, preventive measures to reduce the risk or to reduce its impact, contingency plans and procedures to prepare for an accident, emergency management during and immediately after an accident, and taking action after an emergency to get back as quickly as possible to normal.
- Daily, the authorities and the operators ensure the safety.
- Since 1991 Belgium has a national nuclear emergency plan.
- Do I live in an emergency planning zone?
- Governments and services regularly organize emergency plan drills.
- The Minister of the Interior activates the nuclear emergency plan.
- In case of a nuclear accident, there are four important protective measures.