What can you do?
In the event of an emergency, the operator will concentrate on the technical aspect, and the government on the protection of the population and the environment. But did you know that you yourself can also limit the consequences of an emergency situation if you are well informed and prepared?
- Get informed about the nuclear risk, the actions of the government and the correct reflexes in an emergency situation
- Sign up for BE-Alert (www.be-alert.be). This way you’ll be notified immediately in case of an emergency situation.
- Follow the social media channels of your municipality, governor or National Crisis Centre.
- If necessary, get iodine tablets from your pharmacist.
Depending on the emergency situation, the government can recommend one or more of the following protective measures.
- Taking shelter is the best way to protect yourself.
- If you were outside, you can reduce the external contamination.
- Iodine tablets protect you against radioactive iodine.
- The most exceptional protection measure is evacuation.
- Radioactive material can lead to internal contamination via food or drinking water.